Thursday, November 5, 2015

Blog 11: Lesson 1 Reflection





1. What are you most proud of in your lesson, and why? 

If I had to decide, I was quite proud of the beginning of my presentation - the hook as well as the starting portion of the foundation lecture content. I thought my hook - which was to have a volunteer come from the audience and name the colors of color-coded words without actually reading them - was a bit creative in that it the connection between it and my video game design topic wasn't obvious.  The activity was meaningful to me, too; I didn't think of it until I was re-listening to the 2nd interview with my mentor Tracy Fullerton and recalled her advice on game designers needing dual-thinking (intuitive and technical) to succeed. I didn't actually make the chart, but it was something I remembered pertaining to left-right-brain clashing and realized that it suited Tracy's words. 

Personally, despite my extreme nervousness, I felt I was able to start off strong by being able to segue between the hook and my initial idea about rapidly shifting brain processes. I used the same examples my mentor had used to help me understand the idea, which was to have someone ask themselves, "How is this supposed to feel?" and "How can I implement this?" because that was the 


2. What assessment would you give yourself on your lesson? Explain why you earned that grade using evidence from the component contract.


P. While I would love to say that I deserved an AE, I would be lying if I did. Besides a rather unusual hook and a few strong points and references to my mentors, I didn't really do anything extraordinary. My only defense of this is that, having a topic that relies a lot on virtual media, there's was not much I could convey with visuals, and so I was limited to what I could only remember. Of course, there were other ways I could have more cleverly weaved some visuals in (see 3.) 

Based on the component contract, I feel I did manage to fulfill most spaces in the P range, including volume/enunciation, body language/eye contact, at least 2 published source citations, mentorship and/or interview referenced, and everything that falls in the category of "P Consideration".  The rest, I'll admit, are questionable, but I still don't believe I did anything straight-up terrible.

(I'm scraping gum here, but I would also like to add that I was one of the first people to present).


3. If you could go back, what would you change about your lesson?  How can you use that knowledge to give a better Lesson 2?


OH BOY. For one, I would definitely make sure not to admit my faltering moments by apologizing in the middle of my presentations, and I would do more to hide my nervousness when I couldn't grasp what my next point would be. I had practiced my presentation with something akin to a script because I was terrified of not making time; if we were under less time constraints, I would have been much more open with just explaining things as I went. 

I also wish I had more visuals, even if they were just screenshots of photos of me in my mentorship with my three mentors and a photo of the board game activity I had mentioned. It would have added depth into it without violating any of the rubric requirements.

We were told that it's better to not make time but to have not relied on guides than if we made time but depended on them a little too much. While I was able to make time without the use of guides, I feel that next time I'll make sure to have my lesson plan on the side for EXTREME EMERGENCIES. I'll definitely try to not rely on it in my next presentation at all as I had done with this one, but after experience that dreaded "brain fart" moment that I had today, I want to avoid that even if it means just glancing back at a piece of paper. It's not so much that I had little material that I couldn't fill it in in the segment of time where I was silent, but because I had lost track of where I had been in the sort of "script" I had been practicing on. In fact, in most of my practice sessions I had before, I would too often go over the time limit and so I cut down my material dramatically. I'll admit here also that the reason I had frozen up was due to me looking at the stopwatch on the I-Pad. I wasn't sure if that 8 minutes that it seemed to be one was for the entire lecture that I had commenced or if it was just for my foundation lecture content (and it was at this thought I panicked). 

Transitions also troubled me in the presentation. In my rehearsals, which would involve me occasionally side-eyeing my Lesson Plan, I knew exactly how I needed to transition between my ideas. But in the actual presentation, I began to zigzag with my mental script and couldn't remember what my transitions had been, especially because I had nothing to guide me. Again, the time constraint was what obligated me to the script approach with this presentation which I now regret, and I feel I would have been able to have natural transitions if I had done this any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment